MenuBrandon discussion forums
  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First sight of uniform for Brandon free school

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
willpat60 View Drop Down
Brandonian
Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willpat60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 5:21pm by willpat60
Thank you Muppet for that explaination.

Can you tell me if IES Breckland Senior staff have contacted BMS about the children starting with them in september?

I only ask as my nephew is a teacher in Essex and he does all the liasioning with their feeder schools in preparation for transfering to his secondary school in september. He talks to staff about what are the children good at. If they have any concerns. Do they have any special educational needs? But he told me he started that in April.

I'm sure IES Breckland will have sorted that out. Parents will probably know more at that meeting next weekend.
Choceur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Choceur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 5:08pm by Choceur
Reply to willpat60,above.
I asked my friend who is a teacher. Yes, you're right, such liaison should have hapened already. All pupils, but especially those with additional needs, need to have provision made for them well in advance of transfer. However, my sources tell me this HAS NOT happened as yet between IES Beckland and the Middle School. I believe the process for those following the traditional route of BMS to MCT has been underway for some time. My concerns are for those, with SEN (like my son was a few years back), as I said previously. It looks like the provision will be scant, if there really are only two TA positions. Top that off with last minute meetings between parents and teachers......However, the current staff seem dedicated enough to give all the help and advice, once they're asked, although if I were them I'd feel very reluctant too, given the way they've been treated. As Wilpat60 said, more will be known after next weekend, but then it's only 6 weeks before the end of term. Cutting it fine, I'd say.

Edited by Choceur - 04 Jun 2012 at 5:11pm
willpat60 View Drop Down
Brandonian
Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willpat60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 5:37pm by willpat60
thank you for that Choceur.

It certainly is 'cutting it fine'!

I would think it very difficult for the staff of BMS to pass on information in that time. Especially, as I have heard that they are having to pack everything up before the school closes.
That must be a terrible feeling knowing you haven't got a job at the end of it. We all got 4 weeks notice in my last job but wasn't asked to pack things up. Why didn't they leave before all this?
BeeBee View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeeBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 6:14pm by BeeBee
Willpat60: You are correct, we have to pack everything up before the end and you are correct, it's a terible feeling. I began clearing 20+ years of my life up on Friday and it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.
If you are asking why the staff didn't leave before all this, for me that's obvious to say: I care too much about the pupils of BMS to leave simply because it's tearing my heart out, and it'll be worse over the next 6 weeks. I also believed the promises I was given by SCC and certain other people.
I intend to thoroughly enjoy the last 6 weeks of BMS, though it is going to be so very emotionally hard. I want the current pupils to have the best of me and have fantastic memories that they can carry through to their next school. Kids are very adaptable and I'm sure I will be 'yesterday's chip wrappers' to them in a few week's time.
I have been truly blessed with 20+ years of a job I adored in a place I loved. I don't know if I'll ever find that again, but I'll keep searching and wherever I go I'll give 110% to the children I teach because I believe that all children deserve that as a minimum from those entrusted with their futures.

Edited by BeeBee - 04 Jun 2012 at 6:16pm
willpat60 View Drop Down
Brandonian
Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willpat60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 6:48pm by willpat60
Well BeeBee you and all the staff should be commended for your commitment. I know I couldn't be a teacher in the first place. But this is a bit beyond the call!

I hope that those who run your school appreciate you and the rest? I can't say by the sound of everything that has been said in the past couple of years the authority do! Or some others. But many people of whose children are at BMS now and who have been in the past are very appreciative of what you all do. Thank you.
rabbit67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabbit67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 8:34pm by rabbit67
It's going to be hard for any transition as the new high school doesn't really exist yet. Normally, the high school teachers would meet the primary pupils and teachers before the end of term. Trouble is, it's a bit insensitive to have the new IES staff going into BMS before it closes.
makka View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 10:36am by makka
I can only speak for myself and those that I know but great teachers are remembered always, I can still remember my Woodworking and Geography teachers as they were exceptional, the rest have just faded into the mists of time over the 32 years since I left school, I can also remember the teacher who taught me to write in Juniors (Mr. Hill) and Mrs. Parrott who taught me to read. As I say all the others have faded away.
The light at the end of the tunnel could be you!
waltonway View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waltonway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 11:28am by waltonway
Having attended the open morning for the Free School last saturday at the leisure centre I returned home more confused and less certain which school to send my child to than ever.

It was clearly a very well organised event and the commitment and enthusiasm shown by all the new teachers etc was clear to see (especially as they had given up a day off to be there). However as I read the info available and spoke to various people some alarm bells started ringing. You will forgive any inaccuracies here as these points are based on conversations with various people at the event and not officially made by sabres or IES Breckland officially. My concerns are as follows:

The ICT and drama subject leader was a most charming and enthusiastic chap. I was however somewhat suprised that he was still at University and had no actual class-room experience of teaching, let alone as a subject leader with strategic input into the development of a core part of the curriculm.

The school is apparently only having 2 or 3 Teaching assistants. I believe the current school has 7? I wonder how with mixed ability groups and statemented pupils this works? Again the TA I spoke with had no practical experience of working in a school.

In January when the final announcement was made it was heavily suggested that there would be a range of modern languages available to pupils. The range would appear to be French, French or French?? so much for more choice.

I was also disappointed to note that science would not be taught as separate subjects (Physics, chemistry and biology). I don't see how this best serves the interests of our children at GCSE. 

I really hope I am wrong about this. Somebody prove me wrong please???
Choceur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Choceur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 4:43pm by Choceur
Sadly I can only confirm your fears. As I said, I've got a friend 'in the know' who also attended this event. Many of the employed staff, though as you say, very enthusiastic, appear to have little or (more worryingly) no actual classroom experience, and that includes Key Stage 4 experience (that's GCSE stuff, so I'm told). Now bearing in mind that those teachers currently at BMS who applied (and we all know have a lot of actual teaching experience, the kids like, the kids trust etc.) were not employed because they lacked Key Stage 4 experience. So how do IES/SABRES justify employing staff who have LESS experience. More lies??? Also, teachers fresh out of uni/ new to the job teachers are, yes, you've guessed it....CHEAP! 3 TA's....no way will this work, and yes, once again you're spot on, BMS currently have many more, highly experienced TA staff. Yes, mixed ability teaching....same kids, same needs. These new teachers and (extremely young looking) TAs will need to be exceptional. But hang on, yes, many don't have actual classroom experience. To cap it all, I know of one current BMS teacher, of many year's standing who is exceptional at her subject - would have worked her socks off to become the best in her field, would have relished the challenge - who was not employed ONLY because of her lack of KS4 experience, though I know her, she'd have been wonderful at it. Her subject is being taken by a teacher who does have KS4 experience....in a completely different subject, not even remotely similar! This teacher was initially employed IN the subject she currently teaches, now swapped across to my friend's subject.When asked how this teacher could deliver the level of knowledge/expertise required in her 'new' field, the reply: I've done a bit of it at the school I'm currently at.   THIS IS BORDERING ON CRIMINAL. We were promised OUTSTANDING, EXCELLENT, EXPERIENCED staff. What we've got appears to be YOUNG, INEXPERIENCED, CHEAP. Anyone with an ounce of sensibility can see this is not what the town was promised, can see it is not quality, can see it will not give us 'world class education'. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater. My friend will not be sending their child there following these new revelations. I fear the people of Brandon have been misled, lied to and the current staff done over good and proper. If anyone knows of a way to change this IT MUST BE DONE before 200+ children suffer as a result.

Edited by Choceur - 11 Jun 2012 at 4:48pm
waltonway View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waltonway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 5:32pm by waltonway
Not all of the staff are cheap. There was an ad in the Times Educational Supplement for a non-teaching role entitled 'Business Manager'. Salary £35,000.

I would point this out directly to IESB but the web-site due to be finished in early May is still not up and running for FAQ's!

They will presumably need another £35k for an IT manager???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>