MenuBrandon discussion forums
  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

High Speed Broadband

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Ian H View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High Speed Broadband

Posted: 29 May 2013 at 12:09pm by Ian H
In case anyone has missed it at the County Show they have rolled out a new website with details of when we might get high speed Broadband in Brandon. Looking at it seems to me to suggest perhaps next year. On the BT Openreach website the status of the Brandon exchange has now changed to being under evaluation.

So fingers crossed folks. The website is www.betterbroadbandsuffolk.com.
Speak as I see it
Terry View Drop Down
Website Admin
Website Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 1:02pm by Terry
Good news, let's hope they're right. 
Maleko64 View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maleko64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 1:05pm by Maleko64
Hooray! Clap

It always did seem a bit unfair that Mildenhall and Thetford would get Infinity, but we missed out.

I see the Openreach website says UE for Brandon, Mundford, Feltwell and Methwold
Fernplodder View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fernplodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 1:18pm by Fernplodder
Dont be too excited. We run 16 devices connected to our BB in  Thetford. Half on the old BB half on the new fibre optic. We have two laptops in my office one of each of the networks. After some primitive testing ie both clicking a link at the same time and watching to see who gets the loaded page first we have decided there is very little difference. In fact it is not noticeable. 
Ian H View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2014 at 4:04pm by Ian H
I have had an email exchange today (seems rather appropriate given the subject) with Suffolk Better Broadband. They are saying mid 2015 for Superfast Broadband in Brandon. I don't think that is good enough and I have asked the Town Clerk if we can have an item on the next BTC Agenda so that we can press them to do better.

However I think the more folks that jump up and down the better. So if like me you are not happy with this slow progress please tell SBB by emailing them at

broadband@suffolk.gov.uk

The Broadband rollout is being funded by Taxpayers (ie. you and me) money. They claim to be making excellent progress on rolling out Superfast Broadband and say they will bring forward the date if they can. So let us prod them to do it much faster.
Speak as I see it
Crypt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crypt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2014 at 4:15pm by Crypt
I 100 percent agree Ian we need super fast Internet in Brandon! I email and phone BT and other authorities including councils I've jumped up and down for the past 2 years or so but alone don't think it gets there attention as much as we could collectively do together. I shall email the address you mentioned in your post tonight. P I'm glad your letting them know good to know I'm not alone.
Hugh View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2014 at 4:45pm by Hugh
At the moment I am getting close to 20Mbps, when the superfast comes along will it make a great difference to me?
Also will the upload speed increase from the current 1.07Mbps?
21.01.2014 4:42 PM GMT 109.158.156.154 19.26 Mb/s 1.07 Mb/s 35 ms Hemel Hempstead ~ 50 mi
Hugh
Lady Templar View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Templar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2014 at 5:11pm by Lady Templar
Just done this test.
Down 37.43 Mbps Up 8.31 Mbps
I am on BT Infinity and in Essex.
harveydoesjazz.com
Ian H View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2014 at 5:19pm by Ian H
Hum,
Well I am in Brandon and cant get BT infinity according to their website.

My main gripe in all this is that BT is getting lots of public money to roll out a less than wonderful broadband service. Now BT makes lots of money so why it can't deliver a better service quicker is something we should get annoyed about.

In fact the Better Broadband aspiration is quite low in my view. Given the pace of change the back slapping press release the other day of Suffolk getting extra money to have high speed Broadband in 95% of the county by 2017 is hardly a massive leap forward.
Speak as I see it
Ian H View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2014 at 6:13pm by Ian H
It is not about line speed in itself, it is about technology. We need to have fibre optic broadband for the future. If we stop to think about the old days of a modem in the phone socket which you could not use while using the phone then we realise the pace of change.

I suspect if we talked again about this in 5 years time we would think 20 megs of Broadband was old hat.

So to get the higher speeds of the future we need the infrastructure to deliver it in the future.

Speak as I see it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>