MenuBrandon discussion forums
  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The digital switch over

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ukredfive View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ukredfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 5:43pm by ukredfive
If anyone has a prob with tuning I'm happy to help or give advice
Mags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 8:42pm by Mags
My signal is driving me crazy!  I'm pretty sure my aerial points west and have re-tuned my digi-box more than once but cannot get any BBC channels.  I have tried the manual re-tune that the Freeview/changeover site suggests but that says it cannot pick up anything either.  I have lost a lot of channels since the switchover and can't see why.  Digi-box is only a year old.  Some sites say that a wide-band aerial is needed for some channels - would this make any difference?  (I live near Green Road on the edge of Brandon).
Definitely need an answer!!!!
ChrisRedpath View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisRedpath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 6:27pm by ChrisRedpath
If you're on Sandy Heath, then the BBC channels are now carried on a multiplex located in Band A where the old analogue channels used to be. You shouldn't need a wideband aerial to pick up a digital service equivalent to the old analogue service - giving you BBC1, 2 ITV, Ch4 and Ch5 plus a lot more.

There are 3 multiplexes in the Group A band - 

"BBC B" on channel 21+ carrying HD channels BBC One HD, ITV HD, CH4 HD & BBC HD Channel. You need a DVB-T2 (FreeviewHD Branded) receiver for these.
"D3+4" on channel 24 carrying SD channels ITV1, CH4, CH5, ITV2, CH4 +1, More4, E4 and ITV1+1
"BBC A" on channel 27 carrying all the SD & radio channels from the BBC (1, 2, 3, 4, CBBC, CBeebies etc.)

These are all operating at full power post-DSO but only BBC B is on the proper transmitter aerial after DSO - the others aren't scheduled to switch until next June - meaning that they might have reduced reception now (aerial lower on the mast) compared to the final state of affairs. If you can't pick these up then perhaps you have a faulty aerial or an amplifier somewhere which is being pushed into clipping by high signal strength?

You will need a wideband aerial if you want to pick up the other channels though, but they are currently operating on low power and not yet in their final channel slots - and won't be until August 2012. They will all be between CH41 + Ch67 anyway.

So far as I know there haven't been any changes at Tacolnestone yet but I don't point there.
Mags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:02pm by Mags
Well BBC A is proving elusive - when I do a manual search on Channel 27 it says the quality of the signal is low and it appears and disappears.  After searching it says there are no channels to be found.  Everything else is fine so can't fathom it out!
I don't understand the comment about the amplifier but I think I may need someone to come and check the aerial.  
Anyone recommended?

Thanks for your help,
ascotinbrandon View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ascotinbrandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 8:49pm by ascotinbrandon

My roof arial faces east, for the Tacolneston transmitter. Since the newly boosted Sandy Heath (in the west) transmitter started kicking out its full power signal last month it has completely overpowered the still much weaker Tacolneston broadcasts. Even with my still east facing arial I am now getting the local news bit of 'Look East' from the west of the region, not the Norfolk/Suffolk bit as before. The actual picture is great now, but on occasions the moving lips of the reporters are a bit out of sinqe with the actual voices running behind by a second or so. Its as if I am getting the picture from one & the voice from the other. Hopefully, when Tacolneston powers up in November I will get the correct local news back!!!!!!!!

a scot in brandon,
ChrisRedpath View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisRedpath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 2:35pm by ChrisRedpath
Even if I could remember who it was I wouldn't recommend the people I used the last time - I didn't know any better and picked a professional looking ad from the yellow pages. They actually sent a guy out from Colchester (unknown to me) and although he did fit a working aerial, I suspect I paid well over the odds for it to cover his travel time.

I see John Slater's van around a lot, and he advertises in the Brandon Life, so someone here must have an opinion on his work?

My amplifier comment was related to a problem I had in my system before DSO at Sandy Heath. The overall signal level was high enough that the amplifier starts distorting the output, much like turning an hifi up too loud. That distortion in the output is hugely bad for the signal, much much worse than anything you can hear in music. The symptom is usually very good signal strength but absolutely nothing on the quality indicator, although it depends on the equipment what those actually show you.

In my old system I had inserted a passive diplexer to remove the analogue signals before they reached my distribution amplifier (6 outputs in use here) which prevented the high power signals pushing my amp too far in good weather. Since DSO I have removed it in order to get the BBC channels in their new position, but I have some instability I haven't worked out yet especially at night. I'm tempted to introduce an attenuator before my distribution amp, at least then I'll know if the problems are signal strength related for me.

Firstly though, you need to know for sure which transmitter you're pointing at. You could be pointing at tacolnestone but still picking up CH27 from a reflection?

We should be able to pick up a decent BBC A here most of the time, certainly enough to get the channels during tuning even if they aren't good enough for watching. That would suggest to me that maybe you need to get the system checked out - even assuming the aerial is still perfect, the cables do tend to degrade with time and at radio frequencies a small kink can have enough effect to cause problems. I also want someone to come out and make my system as bulletproof as possible, so any recommendations are appreciated.

Tim View Drop Down
Brandonian
Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 10:40am by Tim
I have used Thetford Aerials on 01842 766077 but with you complex sounding system would recommend you get a price first. I only had an amplifier and booster/splitter fitted. but was happy with the results. 
Pizza View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pizza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 11:26am by Pizza
I think I asked the electrical shop in the high street to sort my ariel out for me....but it was years ago and I could be wrong....whovever it was, it was a good service.....it cant do any harm to ask in the shop anyway...
Nil Desperandum
BeeBee View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeeBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 7:59pm by BeeBee

Someone needs to give the Leisure Centre a hand with this! Since the 'switch' no-one using the gym ca access channels 1-4; it's just a lot of grey fuzz. If, like me, you are not a fan of sport or music (the kind on The Box and MTV) you don't have a lot of choice. Sad as  am, I used to love my workouts to Saturday Kitchen (imagining the calories!!!!) and Corrie. I have asked, on numerous occasions, why it can't be fixed. I was told it was because they can't tune it in since the switchover. Apparently they've even had an engineer out. I thought it was supposed to be quite easy to do; our one at home was no problem at all. Given that I pay the best part of £40 a month to Anglia Leisure, I don't think it's unreasonable to have all the usual channels availale. I'm sick of Lady Gaga and Jessie J!!!! Bring back Corrie and James Martin!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12