Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The digital switch over

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
KAVO View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian
Verified Organisation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAVO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The digital switch over

Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 11:59am by KAVO

I am wondering if you can help me by giving me some information. I am wondering if anyone in Brandon has lost any of their TV channels yet ?

I do know it depends on which mast you are pointed at, and Brandon should be OK till November...But i have heard of some that have already lost their channels.

The Brandon Voluntary Forum will be running some sessions very soon for anyone that is unsure about the switch over and needs more information.
Star
Brandon Voluntary Forum
Dumpling View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dumpling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 2:02pm by Dumpling
The Sandy Heath transmitter has had the analogue turned off alreasdy but the Tacolston isnt going until Nov. If your ariel points west, thats Sandy heath and you need to retune your telly etc. If it points east then you should still be ok....if youve got problems in the east direction then it may be something else...
malnik View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 7:21pm by malnik
Since the change over to the digital channels, the power of the transmission has increased and I can now get good pictures on all channels! Before with the digital channels it would break up all the time. I'm tempted to get rid of my Sky and save myself £30 a month!
RedCard View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedCard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 4:34pm by RedCard
If you have a digital reciever you need to re-tune if you have lost any channels.
A change was made a few days ago any any existing freeview customers had to re-tune.
Free Speech for All!
valleybe View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valleybe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 8:01pm by valleybe
what if you don't have a digital reciever. Just the ordinary tv aerail and can only receive terristiral tv.?
Brandon needs a Swimming Pool
RedCard View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedCard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 10:01pm by RedCard
of ypu only have non digital, you need to move your ariel, but this will only delay the need for digital in November.
Free Speech for All!
malnik View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 9:20pm by malnik
Digital box costs £20 from Tesco or Argos and just about anywhere. You dont need a new TV. Try it first...if you dont get a good signal...you may need a new aerial. Digital signal comes slightly different.
I'm using a loft aerial pointed at Sandy heath...which from everything you read says is never going to work, but its fine. 
Don't be ripped off by companies saying you need to spend a fortune!
valleybe View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valleybe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 10:26am by valleybe
Thanks for that, Do you need to have a satellite dish?
Brandon needs a Swimming Pool
sgt homer View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgt homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 11:49am by sgt homer

To my knowledge there are three ways to receive digital television.

The most common is via a digi box and as mentioned before you can pick these up for about 20 quid nowadays.  The strength of Brandon's digital reception varies from street to street so you might need a new aerial to get the best reception.  Digi boxes can vary in their performance too.  I had a basic Matsui for about 6 years and it was brilliant with an old rusty aerial.  My neighbour bought a more modern box and was then charged 200 quid to have a digital aerial installed that would give her a decent recption.  Crazy when you consider the distance between the aerials was only a few inches!!

A growing market is the satellite dish version which I now have after moving into a home which previously had Sky connected.  A decent digi box for this will cost about 200 quid but there are significantly more channels for satellite than the aerial version and the signal does not get interupted by passing traffic which my previous box did sometimes.  Although depending on your taste in viewing having more channels of tripe not always an advantage!  If your current aerial will support a digi box then I would recommend sticking with that rather than forking out for a satellite.

A newer version which I am guessing all of us on this forum would be able to receive is via the main terrestial channels 'play on demand' services, such as BBC 'iPlayer', 'ITVPlayer' and Channel 4 '4OD'.   These are a selection of programmes that have been aired and are offered to be 'streamed' via broadband to your computer for viewing when you select them.  Most of the soaps, comedies, documentaries, etc are available for a few weeks before they disappear from the service.

Hope this helps. Smile
malnik View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 12:14pm by malnik
Like he says, you only need a sattelite dish if you want to get your signal that way. But in Brandon, surrounded by trees, you can have problems in some areas getting a signal. It has to have a line of sight from Sat dish to sattelite. We can't get it from our place in a normal sattelite mount. Had to have it on a pole. (Not a Polish chap).
Best way, get the little box from Tesco, £19.97. Try it, if it doesnt work, get an aerial man in and he will charge you about £150 for a new one all singing and dancing.
Second option is Sky. £20 per month and free instalation. And they have a deal that gives you M&S vouchers as a gift! So that cuts the monthly cost down if you can spend them. Then after 12 months, cancel it and you can have free channels delivered by the sattelite and the reciever box is yours to keep for nothing.
If you need more info....feel free to ask!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>