MenuBrandon discussion forums
  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

mobile boosters ....help....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pizza View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pizza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mobile boosters ....help....

Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 11:16am by Pizza
can anyone advise please?.....my parents live in poor mobile signal area and have heard that a booster plugged into broadband box will give them a good reception.

my mate has offered to get one for them as I know nothing about them, but apparently the sensibly priced ones are second hand....

so, two questions.....a)   will second hand ones work ok

b) will the signal booster work....broadband is BT, mobile is EE

any help is appreciated.
Nil Desperandum
ChrisRedpath View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisRedpath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 11:52am by ChrisRedpath
I don't know about EE, but I used to have a Vodafone one. It worked great, when it worked, but it was prone to weeks on end with no service with them seemingly unable to fix it.

I would think BT will be one of the more common ISPs though, so you should be OK on that front. I know Vodafone will happily let you transfer a SureSignal to a new owner, but the existing owner needs to do it. I'm not sure about EE, but you would think there would be a way.
Pizza View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pizza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 1:05pm by Pizza
thanks for info. Chris. your post has inspired me to do some research and it looks like EE isnt well known for its willingness to register second hand boosters......looks like a no go.    thanks anyway.
Nil Desperandum
Cabby View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 4:39pm by Cabby
the vodaphone suresignal is like EE's wifi enabled phone, only newer smart phones can do it. but you can use any wifi signal that youre signed into. might be decent with BT Broadband as you can use the bt wifi network

im sure the tech savvy person will be along soon to explain it all
Pizza View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pizza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 9:15am by Pizza
Thanks Cabby....unfortunately mobile is just very basic...£5 sort of jobbie....just for emergcy in car really, but they thought might be useful to have it working at home if could be done at sensible cost...

also, discovered that pay as you go is a problem too...they want people to have contracts...not unregistwered pay as ypu go.......

It is clearly not an option for the circumstances....but thanks for help anyway..
Nil Desperandum
ChrisRedpath View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisRedpath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 12:31pm by ChrisRedpath
The Vodafone one needs a 3g phone, but not necessarily a particularly smart phone. You might be able to get something suitable and port the number over?

Also, you can register any Vodafone number to be the owner and up to 12 others to access it. The calls are charged to the accessing phone, so in theory if you or another family member were to have a Vodafone contract you could put 'your' sure signal in their house and as they are on payg there won't be much of a penalty for switching.

In short, probably doable but might actually end up costing a bit and being a bit of a pain.
Pizza View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pizza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 11:29am by Pizza
Thanks Chris....bit too much like hard work....weve abandoned the idea...

thanks for help all the same...
Nil Desperandum
 Post Reply Post Reply