MenuBrandon discussion forums
  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nuisance phone calls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lakesider View Drop Down
Brandonian
Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakesider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nuisance phone calls

Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 5:32pm by Lakesider
A few weeks ago I would have put this in the "Have A Moan" section!

Having had numerous unsolicited phone calls daily just like everyone else, a few weeks ago I had a day with one too many. I did a bit of on-line research and bought a new phone system, the BT4600 with Call Guardian. 

I installed it 3 weeks ago and have not been disturbed by any rubbish phone calls in all that time. The plan was to block all the callers as they came in, but it hasn't been necessary. Any caller whose number is not in the phone's memory gets greeted with a message that asks them to announce themselves, press hash and wait to be connected. That alone seems to stop them. Yes the phone display shows I have had a number of new calls, but it doesn't ring and once the message is acknowledged when I have the time, it disappears.

Should one take the trouble and manage to get through, there is a button on the handset to instantly block the call. I am waiting for that to happen.

Just thought I would mention it since it is so effective.
WilbertF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilbertF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 5:43pm by WilbertF
That sounds perfect. I'll look more into this. Getting fed up with those calls too. Thanks for sharing the info.
Lakesider View Drop Down
Brandonian
Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakesider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 8:18pm by Lakesider
You're welcome.

To update, 8 months on and I still haven't been bothered by a single nuisance call. All I get is a "New Call" notice on the handsets which I can delete when it's convenient, instead of having to answer a ringing 'phone. Heaven!
Pizza View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pizza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 12:20pm by Pizza
i had started getting lots of nuisance calls, so I blocked each one immediately.

Then I got a call from "the blocked call department"......In retrospect, I wish I hadnt hung up immediately (and blocked them) as it might have been interesting to see what scam they were now trying. You have to admire their inginuity, but please people, think twice and then twice again before you fall for these outrageous scams.... everyone is busy but you must concentrate to weed out these calls.
Nil Desperandum
 Post Reply Post Reply