MenuBrandon discussion forums
  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Radio Caroline, Legal from Suffolk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beavor-bob View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Beavor-bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radio Caroline, Legal from Suffolk

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 7:55am by Beavor-bob
Radio Caroline now has a licence, the relay Transmitter will be close to Stowmarket, so it should be a decent signal in our area. The Frequency & power, (yet to be announced) - is hoped to be 648khts & 1KW of power, to give an idea of the coverage, Smooth on 1261, has a power of just 700 watts, from Gt Barton, nr Bury.
I can reveal that Caroline has studios all over the UK, linked to the service - currently on the internet at:

One such studio, is located very locally to our area Big smile
But it will be good to hear music radio, without lots of talk as well, on Medium wave in the car.

craft cabin View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craft cabin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 9:34am by craft cabin
What great news,we have listened to caroline since the mid 70s out in the English channel and even been on the ross revenge.
Picture Framing all hand made here in our workshop,oils,watercolours,drawings,photo's old and new,cross stitch,medals,football shirts,certificates,ect,ect,100s of frames and mounts to choose from..
Lakesider View Drop Down
Brandonian
Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakesider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 9:38am by Lakesider
Something that didn't seem possible on that rather emotional day in 1967 when one pirate station after another pulled the plug. I wonder what Ronan O'Rahilly would think of that news.

I didn't know they are broadcasting to Norwich on DAB, but if they can have it, why shouldn't we I say.
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavor-bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 10:30am by Beavor-bob
Originally posted by Lakesider Lakesider wrote:

Something that didn't seem possible on that rather emotional day in 1967 when one pirate station after another pulled the plug. I wonder what Ronan O'Rahilly would think of that news.

I didn't know they are broadcasting to Norwich on DAB, but if they can have it, why shouldn't we I say.
Sadly, Ronan has a very sever form of Alzheimer’s disease so he will probably never know of his eventual success. Ronan lives close to & in sight of the Port: Greenore in Ireland,  where Both Caroline ships were fitted out in 1964.

I've been a Caroline supporter for many years, even got slightly involved with the illegal supplying of the Mi Amigo in the late 1970s Tongue  DJ: Barry James, a good friend of mine, who does a regular Friday morning show & every other week on Tuesday evening a request show (60s & 70s) lives very locally - though usually found selling used cars in Weeting Cool
Keith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 4:13pm by Keith
I went on a Radio Caroline road show trip on board the paddle steamer Waverly, from Southend out to see the MV Mi Amigo in the 70s. Great day out with Pauline Quadling's dad Peter Conyers. Came home a bit worst for wear as the bars opened as soon as we left port. Big smile
Army Brat and proud
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavor-bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 4:57pm by Beavor-bob
Thanks for your replies, I'll keep this thread updated with any further news.
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavor-bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:49am by Beavor-bob
OFFICIAL:
Announced today by Caroline boss: Peter Moore:
Frequency allocated 648khts
Power: 1kw (1000 watts)
Good news there.
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavor-bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 5:14pm by Beavor-bob
Though there are quite a few technical & legal probs to overcome, once it is sorted - testing should begin in the near future - start of programming, will be around Nov 5th, from a site used before for Broadcasting.
It will definitely happen. 
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavor-bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 8:29pm by Beavor-bob
Now testing on 648 khtz
 Post Reply Post Reply