MenuBrandon discussion forums
  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Baron de Bliss - Brandon Park

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sgt homer View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgt homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baron de Bliss - Brandon Park

Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 11:28am by sgt homer
I was going through some research and found a few bits relating to the Brandon Park, or more specifically the mid-late 1800s and the Baron de Bliss who owned it at that time.  He was a Millionaire at a time when being one meant he had influence in London and mixed with the aristocracy, and when he left the capital for his retreat in Suffolk, or Northcomb Hall in Devon, it would be reported in the London newspapers.  I have put this on the forum because they might be of interest to someone.

24th November 1857, a letter to the editor of the Norwich & Bury Post,

Baron de Bliss, owner of Brandon Park, shot more than 1,500 partridges on his estate during the shooting season of 1857-58.  This broke a shooting record for the most birds shot with one gun on one manor estate.

To celebrate 5th of November 1865, Baron de Bliss entertained his tenants and their children with a huge bonfire, that could be seen for miles.  Also 100 rounds of heavy cannon were fired, along with rockets and other fireworks.

More shooting sport was reported in the Ipswich Journal on 7th November 1868.  This time more than 1,000 pheasants were shot in a week of shooting, as the Baron hosted a large event which also featured Lord Henry Paget, Admiral Sir Henry Denham and Captain Johnson (83rd Regiment) shooting with their guns.

On 16th February 1869 The Baron’s wife, Catherine, gave birth to a son, also named Henry, at Berkley House, Hyde Park Square, in London.  Henry Jr would later travel the seas in his yacht and after his death in 1926 he left $2 million to the citizens of Belize.  Evidence of Henry Bliss still exist in that small nation as 9th March is celebrated as Baron Bliss Day and his named has been lent to the Bliss Institute, the Bliss Lighthouse and the Bliss School of Nursing.

The Baron inherited lands in Spain and Portugal, as bequeathed to him by his uncle, Colonel Carlo Antonio Barreto, of Spain.  The late Colonel made a condition that the Baron could only inherit the lands if he took his uncle’s surname and the Baron in June1869 was granted a Royal Licence by Queen Victoria to use the surname Barreto.
Shazzbot View Drop Down
Brandonian
Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shazzbot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 11:27pm by Shazzbot
Nice detective work!  History of one's neighbourhood is always appreciated. Smile
Tippgirl View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tippgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 7:22pm by Tippgirl
This is a wonderful bit of news. I know a place where this could be displayed if the writer has no objection! Pleae let me know. Thaks
sgt homer View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgt homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 5:51am by sgt homer
Originally posted by Tippgirl Tippgirl wrote:

This is a wonderful bit of news. I know a place where this could be displayed if the writer has no objection! Pleae let me know. Thaks

No objection.  If I can help with more info then let me know, in my opinion, the more that is spread about Brandon's history then all the better.  Mind you I only have random little snippets from what I have collected over the years.  Some of it of interest to me, whereas other bits are less so, but might be handy for someone else.  Smile
LynMistry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LynMistry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 1:16pm by LynMistry
I have just found an old family photograph which is backed by a newspaper dated 1897.  The photo is notated:

Baron de Barreto
Brandon Hall
Brandon Park
Brandon, Suffolk

The picture is of a large group of people outside a pillared portico - too many and too well dressed to be servants I think although I believe I remember one of my family mentioning someone being in service there.

Any interest in seeing it?  I would also be pleased to receive any information about Brandon Hall
Lyn M
Brandon Country Park View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon Country Park Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 2:10pm by Brandon Country Park
Hi LynMistry - we'd love to see this image, if at all possible. I've also just emailed the Bliss Institute in Belize in case they have any images of the Baron too. How very interesting! David Falk, Manager, Brandon Country Park.
Tippgirl View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tippgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 5:48pm by Tippgirl
I would imagine the Catchpole family who currently own the building (now a nursing home) would also be very interested in the picture. 
 Post Reply Post Reply