MenuBrandon discussion forums
  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Images of Flintknappers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
sgt homer View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgt homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Images of Flintknappers

Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 3:20pm by sgt homer
Here are some images of Brandon Flintknappers from the past.  This is in response to someone who PM'd me on this forum and requested any info about Flintknappers, especially the Field family of 'knappers.  Brandon's history of flintknapping is not something I know a great deal about and so if anyone else has any info then either post on here or let me know and I will pass it on.

Thank you,
Darren Norton

---

I do remember these flint murals being embedded into the wall of the library and having not been there for many years I am presuming that they are still there.  The two gentlemen in these images look like flintknappers of some repute?

This chap appears to be knapping for the benefit of visitors.

sgt homer View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgt homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 3:39pm by sgt homer
Some newspaper clippings from the nineteenth century ...

Taken from Jackson’s Oxford Journal, 4th February 1826 – gun flint making is big business and profitable for some ...

Taken from The London Standard, 14th September 1833 – thefts of gun flints in Brandon made the news ...

Taken from The Sheffield Independent, 31st May 1834 – this publication seemingly liked sensational stories, perhaps a News of The World in its time?

According to the 1901 Census there were still 17 Gunflint makers with such surnames as ...
Field (x6)
Edwards (x3)
Ashley (x2)
Carter (x2)
Palmer
Snare
Kent
Wharf

Along with the Gunflint makers there were two Gunflint manufacturers, who I am guessing would have employed some of the above ...
William Carter
Elizabeth Snare

It was reported in 1915 that some of Brandon's gunflints were still being used in anger.  In some African communities they were apparently being used against some German colonists.
wtf View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wtf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 4:48pm by wtf
as always darren a joy to read
Ladybug View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 8:51pm by Ladybug
There is also an interesting short film on the East Anglian Film Archive site about Flintknappers, it is from 1949 and features Herbert Edwards, Bill Newton and 'Pony' Ashley.
Cabby View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 6:28pm by Cabby
pathe newsreel from1943, shows Vic Edwards knapping.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=38370#.TwsxCmWYcew.facebook

was unsure how to link, highlight all the text and then go to that address.

Edited by Cabby - 09 Jan 2012 at 6:30pm
Exile Paul View Drop Down
Brandonian
Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exile Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 8:05pm by Exile Paul
Hi, I am new on here but have been viewing for months ! Anyone have photos or info re my Grand father Frank Edwards, who was a flintknapper at 99 Thetford rd until his death in 1945
I was born at the same address and lived in Brandon till 1956
paul
Flint knapper View Drop Down
Brandonian
Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flint knapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 11:56am by Flint knapper
Dear Paul,

I have been researching the Gun Flint industry for a while and I have an image your Grandfather flint knapping.  I'll post it soon, but I have having trouble working out how to post and image on this forum. 

In the mean time he does feature in a silent film from the early 1930s:

He is the chap emptying the cart and quartering flint nodules in the middle of the film.  The miner is Arthur ‘Pony’ Ashley, 1863-1946.  The older man knapping is Frederick Edward ‘Fred Budget’ Snare, 23 Feb 1857-17 May 1934 and the younger man is Victor Robert ‘Vic’ Edwards 1888-1953, Frank's brother.   

I have lots of other information on the Edwards family, and other flint knapping families that I am more than happy to share. 

All the best,

Hugo
Dr Hugo Anderson-Whymark, www.flintwork.co.uk
Archaeologist and flint knapper
Exile Paul View Drop Down
Brandonian
Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exile Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 1:06pm by Exile Paul
Hi Hugo, I am very greatful to see that U tube film, I have other film thanks to EA film Archive and it includes Pony Ashley but not my Grandad, do you know who owns the original film? I new it existed but had never seen it.
I am also trying to post some of the photos I have onto this forum as well as lots of other info that I have on my Grandad and other Brandon Flint Knappers.

I have some of his original letterheads and invoices for gun flints . I also have lots of Gun Flints that he knapped , my sister has his tools and other photos

Did you ever see the book printed late 40s "Miracle of Man" it features 4 photos of him , I have the originals
Yes Vic was his brother, they worked together and he lived opposite us in Thetford Rd ,one of his grandsons still lives in Brandon, Basil Waterman but his brother Cliff passed away a year or so back, I grew up with them both although they were a few years older than me. I last saw Basil a couple of years back.

My Grandma Ida Edwards  was from the Snare and I believe she and Grandad were half cousins.

You can find some of my Grandads work on the new tower at Elvedon Church.

I would be happy to share anything I have with you or others interested

Thanks again
Paul
paulbye@blueyonder.co.uk
paul
Flint knapper View Drop Down
Brandonian
Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flint knapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 2:50pm by Flint knapper
Postcard, c1934. Left: Frank Edwards, 1887-17 Jun 1945 , Right: Frederick Edward ‘Fred Budget’ Snare, 23 Feb 1857-17 May 1934.  This photo was taken in a workshop behind The Coach and Horses on the Thetford Road.

Edited by Flint knapper - 01 Mar 2012 at 8:33am
Dr Hugo Anderson-Whymark, www.flintwork.co.uk
Archaeologist and flint knapper
sgt homer View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgt homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 9:24pm by sgt homer
This is really interesting stuff.  Thank you Paul & Hugo.  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>