MenuBrandon discussion forums
  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Friendship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
loupie68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loupie68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Friendship

Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 10:32am by loupie68
Hello , I moved to Brandon just before christmas and have not found any friendship groups locally for people 40 + . Would it be possible to make a space in the forum for people who want to make friends. thanks
Auto-immune illnesses need more research
Hugh View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 7:56pm by Hugh
Hi loupie68,

I am going to be a Brandon Newbie on 7th Feb, but I have been looking on this site and found a list of clubs that should provide places to 'meet the locals'.

Go to:-

and page down. That excludes what may be in Thetford or Mildenhall.

Hope you find some companionship soon,

Hugh.

Edited by Hugh - 30 Jan 2012 at 8:48am
Hugh
loupie68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loupie68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 1:18pm by loupie68
Hello Hugh thanks for your help, I have seen this list but feel i don`t fit any of the catagories, as I have health issue`s and am in the 40`s age bracket , thanks anyway very much appreciated.Smile
Auto-immune illnesses need more research
Diane View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 5:16pm by Diane
Hi Loupie68,
I moved up to Brandon last year and also noticed the lack of 40 something groups. Whereabouts are you? You can pm me if you want.

Diane
lollipop View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lollipop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 6:33pm by lollipop
I agree with you both, 19 months on and i still only know my neighbours. Thumbs Down but love living here.
Dorothy, Trispen View Drop Down
Brandonian
Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorothy, Trispen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 11:55pm by Dorothy, Trispen
I noticed on one of your Forums that Angus Macnamara had passed away! (Cancer I beleive was mentioned)! I would like to pass on my condolences to his family. Angus and I shared the same birthday date, 28th July 1941. Once I had moved away from Brandon I always thought of him on that day as he was the only school friend who shared the day.
I am also pleassed to see the Flint Knappers is opening again and I do wish the new folks in charge and patrons a happy future. When I was 9 years old and lived above Mr Woodrows, the ironmongers premises, my view was across to the Flint Knappers from my bedroom window. I was pleased to see in photo No.4. That the woodwork in there is just about the same as when I took photo's of it in 2010. It has some history to it which I cannot remember. I bet someone knows. Best wishes to anyone who knew Dorothy Fish, now Caddy.
Dorothy, Trispen
Kent Maid View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Maid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 12:29pm by Kent Maid
If the Flintknappers has a function room, what about those of us in this category (40+) ask if we can use it free for an initial meeting.

When I was between husbands (I still use that phrase - it keeps him indoors on his toes) I joined such a group in Norwich. We had twice weekly meetings with a mixture of social events - dancing one evening a week, talks, card games etc on the other evening. We also had weekend walks, trips out with those with cars giving lifts to those without (plus contribution to petrol these days).

I have mobilty problems so I appreciate accessibilty questions as well.
Kent Maid View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Maid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 12:36pm by Kent Maid
There are many voluntary groups in Brandon who might be glad of any skills you have. There is a WI, a Rotary Group, and Ladies Circle to name just three. Do check the Brandon Life when it drops through your letterbox.

I know it is very difficult walking cold into a group. Groups aren't always very welcoming especially if you arrive on your own. I know one of my neighbours belongs to one of these groups but has never asked me if I would like to come along. I know it's whimpish but I feel uncomfortable asking "Can I come along to join your playground ?"
Cabby View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 1:05pm by Cabby
If anyone wants to come along, the group i have in mind all seems to be mainly 40+. and between us we are organizing a Carnival for the town next year. New faces, ideas and skills most welcome.
padbrat View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote padbrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 11:09pm by padbrat
Originally posted by Dorothy, Trispen Dorothy, Trispen wrote:

I noticed on one of your Forums that Angus Macnamara had passed away! (Cancer I beleive was mentioned)! I would like to pass on my condolences to his family. Angus and I shared the same birthday date, 28th July 1941. Once I had moved away from Brandon I always thought of him on that day as he was the only school friend who shared the day.
I am also pleassed to see the Flint Knappers is opening again and I do wish the new folks in charge and patrons a happy future. When I was 9 years old and lived above Mr Woodrows, the ironmongers premises, my view was across to the Flint Knappers from my bedroom window. I was pleased to see in photo No.4. That the woodwork in there is just about the same as when I took photo's of it in 2010. It has some history to it which I cannot remember. I bet someone knows. Best wishes to anyone who knew Dorothy Fish, now Caddy.

yes Angus passed away on the 18th Jan just after 1am. I sat with him through his illness right up to the end, he was a very good friend and neighbour. Angus Macnamara 7/12/1941 - 18/1/2012

Edited by padbrat - 17 Feb 2012 at 11:12pm
army brat. Semper in Via
Planto diligo ut vetus tabernus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>