MenuBrandon discussion forums
  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Lakenheath gate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cabby View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Lakenheath gate

Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 5:37pm by Cabby
Iv'e read in the Life changes have been suggested for the new gate.

WHY ????

the accidents that have happened may of occured elsewhere, and some little darling got confused and took the left lane, clearly missing the white arrows indicating a left turn.

A roundabout is suggested, is that what we are going to place on all our motorways because to me the HGV slip into base looks no different to motorways and gate 1 come to that, execept gate 1 has a little island / bollard so once your commited you have to go left.

IF you cannot see where this road is going with all the signs in place I think you should consider giving up driving.
warren View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 6:48pm by warren
"IF you cannot see where this road is going with all the signs in place I think you should consider giving up driving".

Thumbs Up
Brandon needs a Cinema
lady wyoming View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady wyoming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 9:52pm by lady wyoming
Just read the road ;-) its so easy....
Be ture to yourself
ascotinbrandon View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ascotinbrandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 8:07pm by ascotinbrandon
  I have driven at least 100 times in either direction on the A1065 and the new junction is excellently signposted both ways. Clear and good instructions given both on the approaches and through the junction itself. Excellent vision of the traffic lights.  And if anyone coming from the Lakenheath base end cannot make out the four large arrows painted on the road or the very clear 'HGV's Only' sign pointing left to the new entrance elevated some 10' or so in the air then they should either go to Specsavers or consider giving up driving!!  And I think that if someone in authority with access to accident statistics would care to have a look at the nationally collated figures, I would hazard a guess that the figures for accidents at roundabouts are rather higher than at well signposted, traffic lighted juctions.
a scot in brandon,
malnik View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 7:42pm by malnik
This is no excuse for people not understanding the road layout but......

I think the problem lies with the road markings. As you come round the slow bend and onto the new road, the lines for the split into 2 lanes extends into what is the "through carriageway". I think people would try not to drive over them (possibly subconsiously)....therefore they end up in the wider HGV turning lane not realising thats what it is...thinking its a through road. If they just remove a few metres of the white line....It will solve the issue!
trailpixie View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trailpixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 7:50pm by trailpixie
I think the inevitable accident will be more to do with the indirect line across the junction.  The control box on the left right next to the carriageway is sure to get wiped out by someone travelling too fast and losing control.
 Post Reply Post Reply