BrandonSuffolk.comWelcome to Brandon, Suffolk, UK
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Council Tax

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
resident1 View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resident1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 8:16pm
The specific issue under this discussion was the increase in Council Tax.

Diverting this thread to how good or how bad the Council is, is perhaps not the most pertinent thing and I am also guilty of this in my previous post.

When I looked at the Council Tax of local towns on a band for band basis two years ago, Brandon was more expensive than many of our neighbouring Councils.

The question is WHY, how is our money being managed differently and WHY should we pay more, especially when we do not have some of the amenities our local towns have eg a swimming pool.

When I lived in Newmarket my Council Tax was less than when I moved here. So how can that be right ? Newmarket has a much higher population, needs more policing and gets it !, has more roads to maintain, more waste to collect etc etc etc. It just does not make sense.

All the diversion tactics in the world will not stop people from wanting value for money nor will it stop people from saying I do not want to pay more than other people in other towns.

When living in areas with higher Council Tax I was provided with a higher level of value for money. As an example, fire cover, if I needed the fire service I was sent 3 fire engines within 8 minutes (two of them in 5 mins) this was a mandatory requirement. In Brandon, the level of cover is possibly down as low as one fire engine in twenty minutes.

So just how much less are our lives worth ?

Lady Templar View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Templar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 9:07am

There is no difference between a Parish or a Town Council. It's only a name. BTC meetings are held on the first Monday of every month (as shown on its website). The Precept/Budget meeting is usually held November/December time. If you look at the list of meetings you will note the AGM is to be held on the 14th May, why not go along and have your say then. I am not trying to stick up for BTC but Newmarket does have a race course and probably get some very rich pickings from that sphere to help out with taxes. I do not know, just a surmise. Have to agree though, the amenities in Brandon are not good by any means, seems to take more money just to stand still.

harveydoesjazz.com
warren View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 9:22am

Is our Council Tax higher compared to the likes of Newmarket  because we are smaller in terms of inhabitants?  Because Newmarket has a higher population the costs of their services can be shared across more people.  Brandon is far smaller in number but a similar amount of revenue also needs to be generated to balance the books. Fewer people appear to have to pay more than the bigger communities.  I think it is wrong/unfair and generally if it seems wrong, it usually is.

Brandon needs a Cinema
Cabby View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 9:38am
the point raised was council tax increasing, it is increasing to provide an extra facility for all. im sure we would all be up in arms if we set the level as elsewhere and then cut services.

point taken about other LA's having lower taxes than us to start with.
Pizza View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pizza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 12:29pm
As far as us not turning up at meetings is concerned in order to vent our spleen...knowing Terry, he could probably fix up something so that we could hear the meeting from the comfort of our own computer, or even see it!!   It would solve the problem of there not being enough room to accomodate everyone and save on our carbon footprint from driving there.

Then we would have an opportunity of knowing what was going on.
Yummy
Tippgirl View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tippgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 6:48pm

My understanding that the hike in the council tax was only the element that is paid to Brandon Town Council. I heard murmurings that this would be around £16 per month? I hope I misheard this info! Also as much as I love the Country park I do feel that the residents of Brandon should not have to subsidise the whole thing as I would imagine that most of the folk that use the park and visitor centre are out of towners. I dont think that we as a small town should have to carry the responsibility of funding the whole enterprise. I wouldn't expect the council tax payers near the London Borough nearest to The Tower of London to be subsidisng that attraction. (That said maybe we could lock a few councillors away in the old mausaleum in the park and have that as an added attraction!) Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123