MenuBrandon discussion forums
  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Council Tax

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
echoomiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echoomiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Council Tax

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 10:05pm by echoomiz
In this weeks Brandon Life there is talk of a 41% council tax rise, was that a misprint? Surely this will put a lot of people in a financial bind. Am I seeing things, what is this council smoking? Can I have some?
Thunderbird one
valleybe View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valleybe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 9:31am by valleybe
No misprint, you read it right.
Brandon needs a Swimming Pool
Fenman25 View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fenman25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 10:36am by Fenman25
Originally posted by valleybe valleybe wrote:

No misprint, you read it right.

........but read it carefully Wink

Edited by Fenman25 - 19 Feb 2012 at 10:36am
Support FOBS - Keep Brandon Station safe, clean, tidy and in use
echoomiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echoomiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 11:20am by echoomiz
I agree with Karen in the Brandon Life that this is a ridiculous cavalier attitiude by the council. You can tell that some members are on a jolly. Alot of residents are struggling to live especially with the current economic climate. To even suggest such a large council tax increase is ludicrous even in good economic times. Do you really think that people are worried  about a country park, when its a choice btween having heat and having a meal? That is how close some resident live with a fixed pension income. Im not saying that we can't have small tax increases to cover expenditures. In this case common sense is not very common. I think its time for some of the council members to resign and go off to pasture to another location. 
Thunderbird one
sunseeker View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 11:20am by sunseeker

Everyone want the services but no one wants to pay for them. We do not pay enough taxes locally. that is all it boils down to.

Remember the town questionair? everyone wanted a swimming pool in Brandon. Well that would have cost the local people 2 or 3 times what is being asked of them for the Park. And in my mind the Park is a place where anyone and everyone can enjoy something. I am not in agreement with the town council running it. It has to be run for the town at a profit. This is more than a possibility, it is a venture just waiting for the right person/company to come in and run it. I believe that It could be run very successfully by private emterprise as long as  stringent rules are set out and written into any agreement beforehand. But it cannot be run by a bunch of part time wanabees who seem to leave every decision to the last minute then rush that desision through to try to save face.
As for the sl*gging that one forum member has given BB on this forrum ecently, calling for his resignation. Is that person going to stand against him at the election next year? I doubt it. I dont think that person would be ready to give all those hours of his personal time in helping Brandon, It will be a very sad day for Brandon when BB has to retire. which must come eventualy. IMHO, I think BB is well overdue for some form of recognition for all his selfless hard work over the years.  
make love not war
echoomiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echoomiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 11:31am by echoomiz
Whatever decision is made, we better be very careful. We have to consider that alot of retire and vunerable people live here. Also, if we start drastically jacking up council tax and Levys such as the FHCD raise in the latest Brandon Life, no one will want to move to Brandon, but alot will want to leave. House prices will sink like a rock with alot of houses empty. Remember, with the USAF pulling people back onto camp this will not help the local economy.
Thunderbird one
Lady Templar View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Templar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 1:26pm by Lady Templar
And what "jolly" would that be echoomiz? Brandon Town Council's precept was kept artifically low for many years, years ago. It takes time to build up a reserve. But I cannot agree with this percentage increase only to waste it on Brandon Country Park and the "fag bins" on Market Hill. The Country Park should be run as a private enterprise. Not lumbered on the Town Council just to appease Suffolk County Council and Forest Heath District Council because they didn't want it, and coudln't get rid of it after the Localism Bill came into being. The lighting stock of Brandon Town Council needs upgrading, the money would be better spent there. As for a Public Meeting, a Referedum on the subject would be far better.
harveydoesjazz.com
resident1 View Drop Down
Top Brandonian
Top Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resident1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 3:57pm by resident1
It will be interesting to see what the increases and the actual Council Tax rates will be for neighbouring Towns such as Mildenhall, Newmarket and Thetford will be.

I recall commenting before that I think they pay less than people in Brandon but get less facilities, I asked the question why, but strangely there was no reply.

If they increase the Tax by considerably more than neighbouring Towns and we continue to pay more per capita and have less facilities than them it might be an idea to seek an external organisation  to investigate the reasons and to identify why Brandon receives more money but provides lesser facilities.
lageral999 View Drop Down
Brandonian
Brandonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lageral999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 4:10pm by lageral999
i am agaist this huge rise in Brandon town council's part of our council tax, and have made it very clear at the last council meeting along with others!! but if more people attended or made there veiws to the council they may get the message!
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Terry View Drop Down
Website Admin
Website Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 6:09pm by Terry
Originally posted by lageral999 lageral999 wrote:

i am agaist this huge rise in Brandon town council's part of our council tax, and have made it very clear at the last council meeting along with others!! but if more people attended or made there veiws to the council they may get the message!
Perhaps not that many people are bothered by the increase?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>