Print Page | Close Window

Who Dares Wins

Printed From: BrandonSuffolk.com
Category: Brandon Discussion
Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Description: If it's not covered in a category above, then discuss it in here
URL: http://forum.brandonsuffolk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1866
Printed Date: 18 Sep 2019 at 10:46pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Who Dares Wins
Posted By: Damocles
Subject: Who Dares Wins
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 5:18pm
This is so interesting. Is there anyone in Brandon who has a good word to say about anything in this Town? Council, Councillors, Railway, Supermarket, Planes. I could go on and boringly on. Placation after placation. Nothing ever happens here that is meaningful, nobody takes any action. I do not advocate civil disobedience. But what I would suggest is mass lack of use of the meagre facilities that you do have. Hit them in the pocket, then you WILL see some action.

Replies:
Posted By: sedonamoonshine
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 6:24pm
swords at the ready !!!!!

-------------
Sedonamoonshine
Everyday is a new beginning enjoy yours

Posted By: Cabby
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 7:14pm
sorry youre wrong.

there is some good new younger blood on the council, with business experience and keen to promote the town.
You have a young man in Terry, put this site here for the good of the town.
we managed to get the carnival going after a big gap, and got loads of help and support from all around the town.
traders that want to make things happen.

this town has got a big buzz about it, the biggest since i moved here in 2001 and worked here for 10 years prior.

it wont happen overnight, but slowly that community spirit is returning, just watch. the way we are going if we can get FHDC and SCC to recognise the fact were here this town will come out and show them all what its about.

anyone else care to heap some praise on ourselves

Posted By: Lady P
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 8:26pm
I've only lived here for a very short time but I would support Cabby's view, Rome wasn't built in a day and we all need to have the will to succeed.  So don't be defeatist, let's support those that have the true interests of Brandon at heart and the courage to do something about it.  Put your money where your mouth is!

-------------
Life is not a rehearsal!

Posted By: missy1608
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 7:01am
totally agree Damocles...we live in a town where the library toilets are shut due to vandalism....and Tesco's.... very few amenities and a level crossing that beggars belief!! Nice country park that the council tries to disown though

Posted By: Pizza
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 8:56am
Two points. 1, Yes, the town has become a bit run down. Personally I think this is due to the preference of flagship newmarket. It is well known that our mp is especially involved in Newmarket and fought tooth and nail to stop development there yet is doing everything he can to get one of our few amenties concreted over by a totally outrageous development that will increse the size of Brandon by half as much again. there will be no open space for the new residents to enjoy because their house will be on it.
Some misguided councillors too are supporting this and don't realise it will be the final nail in the coffin for Brandon.

Point 2. Things are changing. there is a new group of individuals that are giving a new vibe to Brandon and injecting some life into it. These are the people that we must support. Cabby mentioned Terry quite rightly for his input. What Cabby conspiciously failed to mention was that he himself is one of the shining lights. He grabbed the Carnival concept by the ears and motivated the committee to produce a wonderful spectacle for Brandon to be proud of....hes far too modest. If we can hand over the power to the new blood...Cabby, Terry, carnival commitee members etc, it will change Brandon into the livevly fantastic community that it deserves to be. The people are fantastic, we just need the right ones to be controlling our destiny...

-------------
Nil Desperandum

Posted By: Terry
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 9:04am
I think we also need to make a point of mentioning the newer Town Councillors (Richard Crowther, Ian Horner, Mark Skinner to name a few) who are trying their best to make the town better.

Christine as town clerk does a hell of a lot for Brandon but gets almost no recognition.

The bigger Christmas event and the regular events on Market Hill would not be happening if it wasn't for the people (and Cabby!) mentioned above.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 9:07am
The people that actually make Brandon worse are those that moan and won't do anything about it.

If you want to change something then go and do it, it's not easy but you'll feel like you have achieved something at the end of it.

Until the new people take control and make an effort you can't complain that the same old people are still 'running' the town.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 9:43am
anyone thats wants to get involved in any project around town only has to name themselves.

in fact how about a " register you interest" message to myself or Terry.

or how about a social event ?

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 9:55am
I would love to get involved in Brandon as would my daughter and son-in-law.  Please put us on the list!

-------------
Life is not a rehearsal!

Posted By: Redhead85
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 10:00am
I truly loved the Christmas event as well as the carnival. Each year is going to get bigger and better as we all build on what worked and amend what didn't work so well. Can't wait for this year's Christmas event!

Posted By: P&R Garden Supplies
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Damocles Damocles wrote:

This is so interesting. Is there anyone in Brandon who has a good word to say about anything in this Town? Council, Councillors, Railway, Supermarket, Planes. I could go on and boringly on. Placation after placation. Nothing ever happens here that is meaningful, nobody takes any action. I do not advocate civil disobedience. But what I would suggest is mass lack of use of the meagre facilities that you do have. Hit them in the pocket, then you WILL see some action.

Please do tell me how I can "Hit these in the pocket"? I'd love to hear your ideas as I am all out of them. Especially when it comes to the level crossing when that is hitting ME in the pocket!. 

-------------
Suppliers of Quality locally grown garden plants. Competively priced garden chemicals, composts, tools, seeds, bulbs and Pots, everything your garden needs! Delivery or Carry to Car service available

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 3:18pm
Here's some good news that I posted elsewhere:

Bury Road car park reopens on Monday at 7.30am.

Posted By: Lady Templar
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 3:51pm
Can I just make something clear. Councillors are individually and severally responsible for the deeds of the Council. No one councillor, including the chairman, has any power. The power comes from the collective. Therefore all decisions made have to be by a majority. The Town Clerk has no power to make decisions or take any action without the precise instruction of the Council. It is a paid post. This legally applies to all councils, at whatever level, in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Therefore, no one councillor can "run" the show. It would be unlawful.

-------------
harveydoesjazz.com

Posted By: wtf
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 5:05pm
[QUOTE=Lady Templar] Can I just make something clear. Councillors are individually and severally responsible for the deeds of the Council. No one councillor, including the chairman, has any power. The power comes from the collective. Therefore all decisions made have to be by a majority. The Town Clerk has no power to make decisions or take any action without the precise instruction of the Council. It is a paid post. This legally applies to all councils, at whatever level, in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Therefore, no one councillor can "run" the show. It would be unlawful.
NOW that the council doesnt have the the likes of saxby ahern bourton both weetmans they seem to get on better

Posted By: ascotinbrandon
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 5:56pm
OK, here's one for folk to consider. I have a pretty reasonable singing voice, been in a few shows & choirs over the years. Anyone like to join me in getting a Christmas choir up & running: carols on the market square during December, on the station platforms, Aldi & Tesco car parks raising funds for local charities & good causes, maybe liase with the brass band to do a bit with them, etc. Doesn't have to be an any other time of year so no large repertoir required, just the festive stuff we all know & love, carols & songs. Get together for a maybe half-a-dozen rehearsals before hand then give it a go. Possibly don't need an instrument of any kind but if someone that plays is willing to join us?!!  Just a thought. Ermm

-------------
a scot in brandon,

Posted By: Redhead85
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 6:30pm
If timings work around my toddler then yes please! 

Posted By: P&R Garden Supplies
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 9:52pm
Theres going to be a Christmas panto at Weeting village hall, there wanting people to join in (including children over 7 years old) I've got all the details if anyones interested. 

-------------
Suppliers of Quality locally grown garden plants. Competively priced garden chemicals, composts, tools, seeds, bulbs and Pots, everything your garden needs! Delivery or Carry to Car service available

Posted By: Tiller Lass
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 9:57am
Originally posted by ascotinbrandon ascotinbrandon wrote:

OK, here's one for folk to consider. I have a pretty reasonable singing voice, been in a few shows & choirs over the years. Anyone like to join me in getting a Christmas choir up & running: carols on the market square during December, on the station platforms, Aldi & Tesco car parks raising funds for local charities & good causes, maybe liase with the brass band to do a bit with them, etc. Doesn't have to be an any other time of year so no large repertoir required, just the festive stuff we all know & love, carols & songs. Get together for a maybe half-a-dozen rehearsals before hand then give it a go. Possibly don't need an instrument of any kind but if someone that plays is willing to join us?!!  Just a thought. Ermm

I think thats a fab idea.

Posted By: wisemanthree
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 5:43pm
Marvellous enthusiasm. Absolutely wonderful. I admire all of the energy buzzing here. I think of this energy and enthusiasm when I remember what Brandon used to be like, and I think of this energy and enthusiasm when I look around today and am smacked so hard in the face with 'chav-iness' that my eyes pop out of the back of my skull. These are then stolen and sold to buy tracksuits.

-------------
www.youtube.com/wisemanthree

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by ascotinbrandon ascotinbrandon wrote:

CAROL SINGERS

1st meeting Monday 21st 19.30 at the sports centre.

If you cant make it, just say YES here and we will contact you.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 8:25pm
Lady P, or anyone else for that would you like to help out at the Christmas Fayre. Sun 8th 4 to 6.30.

we would like someone to man a stall selling the town calendars, we may also need a hand on the drinks stall and hot chestnuts.

PM me on here. Thanks

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 9:45am
Cabby, I would be pleased to help.  Will possibly need to hang on to granddaughter whilst her mum and dad are carol singing so maybe best bet would be the town calendars but happy to muck in where needed.

-------------
Life is not a rehearsal!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk